Hangwani Mulaudzi Picture: Facebook
Hangwani Mulaudzi Picture: Facebook

Hawks head accepts resignation of spokesman Hangwani Mulaudzi

By Staff Reporter Time of article published Nov 11, 2020

Share this article:

Johannesburg - Hawks, the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation, has accepted its national spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi’s resignation.

“The spokesperson of the Hawks, Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi has tendered his resignation to the national head of the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation, Lieutenant-General Godfrey Lebeya, for consideration,” Hawks spokesperson Colonel Katlego Mogale said.

“The reasons for tendering the resignation (are) cited as personal. The national head has accepted the resignation with immediate effect.”

The DA has been calling for Mulaudzi’s head after his foundation, a non-profit organisation (NPO) he chairs in Limpopo, received R3 million from the embattled National Lotteries Commission (NLC).

The NLC and Mulaudzi have been the subject of a backlash recently, with the DA questioning the commission’s relationship with Mulaudzi as the Hawks are currently investigating some of NLC’s grants.

The Hangwani Mulaudzi Foundation received R3m from the commission to establish a sports centre for the community of Mashamba in July last year.

Mulaudzi told The Star that political leaders have put his life in danger with their agendas. He went on to clarify that he does not deal directly with investigations at the Hawks. Mulaudzi also said he was not the sole director of the foundation.

“It’s not my foundation only. It’s an NPO and there are others who have partnered with me in running this foundation,” he said.

At the time, The Star asked him to comment on why the foundation uses his name, Mulaudzi said: “That’s because my name is popular, simple.”

However, the DA’s Mat Cuthbert indicated that there was a clear conflict of interest. He said the funding raises alarm bells since the Trade, Industry and Competition Department had recently handed over evidence related to the Denzhe Primary Care scandal to the Hawks to investigate.

This comes after the NPO scored a whopping R7.5m from the commission which is now being investigated by the Hawks.

The commission’s spokesperson Ndivhuho Mafela said the foundation applied and was approved for an NLC grant in the sport and recreation sector.

The Star

Share this article: