Johannesburg- The man accused of allegedly dousing his girlfriend with petrol and setting her alight has withdrawn his bail application and will remain in custody until his case concludes.
Mpho Thobane made a brief appearance at the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court on Thursday where he is accused of arson and premeditated murder for the brutal killing of 32-year-old Viwe Dalingozi.
His Legal Aid lawyer said her client had decided not to apply for bail. However, she did not provide reasons for his decision.
The State alleges Thobane carried out the gruesome murder of Dalingozi inside their Joburg apartment last month after an apparent argument regarding the deceased greeting her ex-boyfriend.
Thobane is said to have waited for Dalingozi to fall asleep before allegedly carrying out the shocking crime.
Dalingozi succumbed to her injuries in hospital later that day. Thobane fled to Limpopo following the incident, but was nabbed a few days later in Mokopane.
When he made his first appearance in court last week Thursday, 27-year-old Thobane still had what looked like minor burn marks on the right side of his face.
The State asked for a postponement to December in order to get a forensic report on the chemicals used in killing Dalingozi.
Magistrate Lucas van der Schyff granted the postponement.