Since the online applications for Grade 8 learners opened earlier this year, the school has received more than 1000 applications for a capacity of just over 200.
The school was at the centre of a scandal after Collan Rex a former assistant water polo coach, was accused and found guilty of 144 counts of sexual assault and 12 of common assault.
Some of the parents whose children had fallen victim to assaults at the school have since removed them.
Gauteng education spokesperson Steve Mabona said the school was working hard to change the negative image.
“We have a new school governing body and new principal and there’s commitment to do away with all practices that we identified to be problematic. The school has introduced an anonymous tool to report all complaints,” Mabona said.
He said psycho-social unit officials will visit the school on a regular basis.
Mabona said parents still wanted their children to be educated at the school because it is one of the best performing institutions in the province.
The 2018 fees are R45 400 a year for day scholars, and an additional R69 000 for boarders.
He said since the opening of the online application period for the 2019 learner intake, the Gauteng Department of Education had received 282823 applications, of which 149461 were for Grade 1 and 133362 for Grade 8.
Mabona said by Monday about 257648 learners had been placed - 136739 in Grade 1 and 120909 in Grade 8 classes.
“It is unfortunate that we have about 748 unplaced learners due to schools having reached capacity, especially in Johannesburg Central, Johannesburg East and Tshwane South Districts. Nonetheless, these districts are in communication with relevant parents to secure alternative placements,” Mabona said.
He said late applications would only open after all applicants who applied online were placed.
“We are aware that the process of waiting for placements is cumbersome and frustrating to parents and learners.”