Actress Busi Lurayi awaits sentencing after convicted of stealing ex-boyfriend’s assets
The businessman ex-boyfriend of former City Ses’la actress Busi Lurayi said he is relieved that his case against the actress over the alleged theft of his assets in 2015 is finally coming to an end.
Lurayi and Mziwoxolo Qwelane have been involved in an ugly public spat since December 2015 when the businessman opened a case against the actress for the alleged theft of furniture, appliances and other valuables worth more than R400 000.
The actress is best known for her role as Phumzile in SABC1 soap opera Generations and the sitcom City Ses’la and its sequel Ses’Top La and was announced as one of the cast members in a new star-studded Netflix Original comedy-drama How to Ruin Christmas: The Wedding on Monday.
Lurayi made a brief appearance in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesdy, wearing a black outfit with a colourful doek, where the magistrate was expected to hand down a sentence after she was found guilty of theft last week.
During the proceedings, Lurayi’s attorney told the court that he wanted a report done to assess if Lurayi could be involved in a programme as part of her sentence. State prosecutor Yusuf Baba agreed to let the matter stand down until the report was completed.
The drama between the former couple, who have a 6-year-old daughter, initially started about five years ago when the businessman opened a case at the Randburg police station, which saw Lurayi arrested and spending two nights in a holding cell.
Qwelane told The Star after court that he had left Johannesburg to visit home in Eastern Cape and returned to find his Hurlingham home in Randburg had been ransacked. The house, which he shared with Lurayi, was for sale and the domestic worker was to hand the keys to the estate agent.
The stolen assets included Qwelane’s Samsung fridge and TV, mattresses, a microwave, pots, carpet, bedding, a couch, a baby feeding chair and a washing machine.
“It was then I discovered that she came in the evening with a truck and basically cleared the house of assets worth over R400 000, and it’s been going on since then,” he said.
The businessman said he was relieved that the matter was coming to an end. However, he wished that the situation hadn’t been escalated to the courts.
“I wish it hadn’t got to this part in court and I would have settled for a simple ‘I’m sorry’, and perhaps I would have let it go, but her assault on my person and assets also tied in with other things that need answers,” he said.
Qwelane added that he was also interested in further pursuing a civil case against Lurayi about the custody of their young daughter.
Lurayi’s sentencing is expected to take place on October 29.