Durban - A 37-year-old man is due to appear in the Verulam Magistrate’s Court on Monday for allegedly opening a false theft case, KZN police have confirmed.
According to KZN police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala the suspect claimed his cellphone had been stolen, when he had allegedly sold it.
Gwala said the man told police that he had been travelling to Durban on August 30 with three men in his vehicle.
"He claimed that while they were at Morningside, the three men robbed him of his cellphone and cash.
"A case of robbery was opened at Phoenix police station for further investigation. Following an investigation, the suspect was thoroughly interviewed by detectives and it was uncovered that the man had sold his cellphone in Morningside and he was in fact not robbed.