A rose placed next to the picture of Devashnee Naidoo on her birthday. 
Picture: Supplied
A rose placed next to the picture of Devashnee Naidoo on her birthday. 
 Picture: Supplied

Teacher killed with lethal 'cocktail' remembered on her birthday

By Janine Moodley Time of article published Feb 26, 2020

Share this article:

Durban - It was an emotional weekend for the family of a former Clarence Primary School teacher whose decomposing body was found in her Berea flat last July.

Saturday was Devashnee Naidoo’s first birthday after her death. She would have turned 31.  

Her husband, Megan Doorasamy, who allegedly stayed with her body for four days, is accused of killing her with a lethal cocktail of anti-freeze and cranberry juice.

Naidoo’s sister-in-law, Rani Naidoo, said: “It was the first birthday since her death, which we still cannot get over. Her mother continues to cry for her child.”

Rani celebrated and remembered the Hare Krishna devotee by leaving out a cup of tea and a slice of eggless cake. Rani’s 8-year-old son placed a rose and a teddy bear next to Naidoo’s photograph.

Police found her decomposing body on July 5. She is believed to have died on July 1. Doorasamy allegedly stayed with the body for four days before calling the police.

It is alleged he then drove to a pier where he contemplated ending his life, but instead handed himself over to authorities at the beachfront tourist protection satellite unit.

It emerged in court that he and his wife made a suicide pact due to financial difficulties. He allegedly mixed cranberry juice with anti-freeze which Naidoo would drink first before he consumed the concoction.

Doorasamy said when he got up the next morning, she was dead but he stayed with her body. No suicide note was found.

When the police arrived at the flat, they allegedly saw Naidoo’s face had bruises and the bathroom was cleaned. Forensic investigations revealed blood on the floor.

Doorasamy, who quit his job as a truck driver, initially refused bail and opted to remain in custody.

In November, he changed his mind and made an application for bail, on the basis that he wanted to perform his wife’s last rites.

Bail was denied and he is an awaiting trial prisoner at Westville prison. He turned 30 on February 10.


Share this article:

Related Articles