Double murder accused Shalin Ganesh has abandoned his bail application. Picture: Supplied

Durban -  Double murder accused Shalin Ganesh abandoned his bail application at the Scottburgh Magistrate's Court on Monday. 

The 37-year-old has been charged for the murder of Umkomaas couple Sathie Pillay, 78 and his wife Southree Pillay, 74. 

The couple were found dead in their Willowglen home on August 1. 

Sathie was allegedly bludgeoned to death with a hammer and Southree was allegedly assaulted and then strangled during the attack. 

The matter was adjourned to August 30 for further investigations. 

Family spokesperson Jace Govender thanked the community for their support. 

Angry residents protested outside the court ahead of the bail application calling for the death penalty. 

Protestor Jay Govender, 67, said she wanted justice. 

"He brutally attacked two innocent people. He must not be allowed to walk our streets." 

Ganesh had been renting a room in the couples' home. 

At the time of the murder KZN police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbele said they both sustained head injuries and died at the scene. 

"The suspect fled the scene in Sathie's vehicle and was later arrested by the police on the N2 freeway."

POST