File picture

Durban - The 19 suspects accused of a spate of bombings in Durban have been remanded in custody at Westville Prison until their formal bail application on Monday. 

The suspects who police allege are also linked to the attack on the Imam Hussein Mosque in Verulam where Abbas Essop was killed appeared in the Verulam Family Court on Tuesday.

They face charges of terrorism, murder, attempted murder, extortion, kidnapping, contravention of the Explosive Act and arson.

Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said an ID parade will be done this week as well as further investigations.

"Court proceedings will still be conducted in camera and no public or media will be allowed in court."

He said these measures are being taken due to the sensitivity of the case.

"Between March and August this year, Durban and surrounding areas were plagued with several incidents of placing and detonating of these devices including widespread hoax callers."

The 19 suspects, he said were arrested last week Friday in and around Durban by an integrated team involving the Hawks (Crimes Against the State), Crime Intelligence, the Forensic Unit, the National Prosecuting Authority including other departments from the justice cluster.

POST