Maldives is a country in South Asia, composed of 26 ring-shaped atolls, which are made up of more than 1,000 coral islands. It’s known for its beaches, blue lagoons and extensive reefs. Here are 5 facts you should know:
1. Maldives population is around 341, 256, according to the Visit Maldives site. There are around 60 000 registered foreigners who reside in the country.
2. The official language is Dhivehi, but more locals are now using English as their second language. Knowing English helps them to interact with visitors.
3. The official religion is Sunni Islam. Maldivians embraced Islam in 1153 AD and the religion has played a key role in shaping the Maldivian society. Some of the famous landmarks in the country have been greatly influenced by Islamic architecture
4. Maldivian ancestral roots can be traced back to Sinhala’s of Sri Lanka, Marathi’s and Guajarati’s of India, Arabs, Malays and Northern African dispositions.
5. Male’ is the capital city of the Maldives. It is also home to the executive, legislature and judicial branches of the government of the Maldives. Male’ is also the financial and commercial capital of the country.
Source: Visit Maldives.