Located in the small town of Xilitla, in the Huasteca region of southern San Luis Potosi state is the creation of Las Pozas - a sculpture garden created by English poet Edward James from the Surrealist Movement.
The origins of the sculpture garden date back to 1947 when James, living in semi-exile in Mexico at the time, acquired the coffee plantation near Xilitla.
James lived a life of sheltered luxury in the English upper class, attending Eton and Oxford University, and later becoming a great supporter and collector of Surrealist art, sponsoring both Salvador Dali and Magritte in the 1930s.
With the construction being overseen by James' friend, co-designer of Las Pozas and Mexican guide Plutarco Gastelum, James used Las Pozas as a home for orchids and exotic animals.
Construction on Las Pozas began in 1962 and carried on for the next 20 plus years until James’ death in 1984.