COSATU in the Western Cape has called on the Minister of Employment and Labour, Thulas Nxesi to ban the transportation of farmworkers on the back of trucks, following yet another accident near Klapmuts.
Police said approximately 40 workers travelling in a truck to work were injured when the vehicle overturned on the Simondium Road (R45) on Monday.
No deaths were reported.
However, in January last year three farmworkers died when their truck was involved in a crash near Worcester.
COSATU Provincial Secretary. Malvern De Bruyn said the trade union federation was seeking legal opinion on whether or not a civil claim could be lodged on behalf of the farmworkers.
De Bruyn also called on the South African Human Rights Commission to investigate the incidents.
"Government and farm owners have done nothing to protect the vulnerable farmworkers who travel every day in dangerous conditions," said de Bruyn.
He called on farm owners to pay the injured workers full salaries while they were still recuperating at home from injuries sustained.
"Law enforcement agencies must also look into the accident. How many people must die before the farm owners and national and provincial governments intervene and ensure that workers are transported safely,? " said de Bruyn.
Police spokesperson, FC Van Wyk said an accident report has been opened.
Anyone with any information about the incident is requested to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111.