Marvin Minaar. Picture: File
Marvin Minaar. Picture: File

Coach to see trial at high court for student’s rape and murder

By Genevieve Serra Time of article published May 2, 2021

Share this article:

A man who made a full confession for the rape and murder of his 12-year-old basketball team member and was caught on video walking to the crime scene in Hout Bay, is awaiting to get his list of charges for his trial.

Marvin Minaar, 23, made his first appearance at the Western Cape High Court on Friday for pretrial proceedings for the rape and murder of Sibusiso Dakuse, 12, of Hout Bay. The State revealed that Minaar needed time to consult with his defence team and that they were in the process of preparing his indictment, which is the list of charges and summary of the facts.

Murdered 12-year-old Sibusiso Dakuse.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila confirmed Minaar’s appearance and proceedings. “The case was postponed to May 21, 2021 for another pretrial conference. The defence still needs to consult with the accused.

“We are in the process of trying to get the indictment and summary of facts. They will be forwarded to you as soon as they are available.”

Soon after his arrest last year, Minaar confessed to Dakuse’s murder.

He was seen on CCTV footage being the last person to have walked with Dakuse before he died.

The State is set to prove that Minaar lured Dakuse on February 26, 2020, after he left his home in Mandela Park, Hout Bay and took him to Kronendal Farm.

The boy’s body was discovered days later, hidden among reeds on the farm.

Minaar coached boys basketball and had gained Dakuse’s trust.

On Friday, Dakuse’s family were inside a courthouse for only the second time since the murder and they stated that the first investigating officer had died.

They were informed this week of Minaar’s appearance at the high court and have been left disappointed and frustrated.

Sibusiso’s aunt, Thabisa Dakuse, said they were relieved that the case was finally at the high court but were frustrated. “We have a challenge because none of the police informed us who the detective is after the investigating officer died.

“We were surprised that the case was at the high court. By God’s will we received news about his appearance on Friday and we went to the pretrial proceedings; it was our first time at the (Western) Cape High Court.

“After we were at court, it felt good and gave us new hope that the case is still going on because there were rumours that he was out on bail and it frustrated us and that he was still behind bars.

“We are happy as family and on May 21 we will be there with full support, T-shirts and placards for justice for our child.”

Share this article: