Spanish national Mario-César Deus Yela appeared in the Western Cape High Court. Picture: Catherine Rice/African News Agency (ANA)

 Cape Town - The State is going for the jugular in the upcoming trial of Spanish dentist, Mario-César Deus Yela. 

The 50-year-old dentist now faces charges of premeditated murder in the Cape High after the office of the Public Prosecutor amended the original indictment.

 The amended indictment was only filed last Friday.

 Yela stands accused of killing his three-year-old twins, Octavia and Maximo Engelhorn at a holiday apartment in Hout Bay on April 6,  2017.

 Yela is also accused of assaulting his ex-wife, Julia Engelhorn.

 The trial has been postponed several times as the State and defence have been unable to find suitable dates.

 Defence lawyer, William Booth initially requested a postponement to February 4, 2019 but Judge Vincent Saldanha refused to grant the lengthy postponement.

 The matter will be heard on November 12 to determine when the trial will start.

 Yela faces 7 charges including premeditated murder, assault and theft of a motor vehicle.

 State prosecutor Louise Friester-Sampson said she was ready for trial, but the court roll had already been set for the fourth term.

 Booth told the court he wanted to "pursue further discussions" to avoid a lengthy trial and requested that the court find a suitable Spanish interpreter for the duration of the trial.

Weekend Argus