Independent Online

Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Disgraced Fritz challenges complainants to lay criminal charges

Albert Fritz said he does not have the financial resources to embark upon litigation in the High Court. Picture: Tracey Adams/ANA/ African News Agency

Albert Fritz said he does not have the financial resources to embark upon litigation in the High Court. Picture: Tracey Adams/ANA/ African News Agency

Published Mar 9, 2022

Share

Sacked provincial minister of community safety Albert Fritz says he does not have money for a costly lawsuit to clear his name but is waiting for criminal charges to be laid against him.

In a statement on Wednesday, Fritz said : “I have taken legal advice and based on input of counsel decided and realised that I simply do not have the financial resources to embark upon litigation in the high court, regardless of of the clear administrative and legal injustices that exist.

Story continues below Advertisement

“This is something I deeply regret. “However, as previously stated I am awaiting for the complainants to lay criminal charges as previously indicated at which a competent test of my innocence will be clear beyond any reasonable doubt.”

The 62-year-old who was fired from the Western Cape cabinet following numerous allegations of sexual misconduct last week.

Just hours after he was sacked, Fritz also resigned as the DA’s provincial leader as well as a member of the DA.

Story continues below Advertisement

This after Western Cape Premier Alan Winde received a final report detailing the investigation of the allegations against Fritz.

Williams’ report found, after interviewing 18 witnesses, sufficient credibility to the allegations of sexual misconduct, alcohol abuse and evidence that Fritz created an environment that was conducive to sexual harassment and taking advantage of young women sexually.

Story continues below Advertisement
A source told Weekend Argus that Albert Fritz challenged the complainants to lay criminal charges against him. Picture: Ayanda Ndamane/ANA/ African News Agency

It is also understood that Fritz has still not received the full report but only an executive summary.

A source in the DA told Weekend Argus that one of these allegations involved Fritz following a female worker to the toilet at Fernwood Estate at a farewell function.

The source also added that Fritz has challenged the complainants to lay criminal charges against him, but to no avail.

Story continues below Advertisement

Share