Independent Online

Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Western Cape cash-in-transit suspect tells court he will seek bail

Suspect arrested in Worcester cash-in-transit heist appears in court. Picture:Matthews Baloyi/African News Agency/ANA

Suspect arrested in Worcester cash-in-transit heist appears in court. Picture:Matthews Baloyi/African News Agency/ANA

Published Jan 5, 2022

Share

A 37-year-old man accused of taking part in a cash-in-transit heist will be making a bid for bail next week.

Sebenzile Macebo made a brief appearance at the Worcester Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday morning, where he was formally charged with armed robbery.

Story continues below Advertisement

This comes after the suspect handed himself over to police on Monday afternoon following his alleged involvement in a cash-in-transit incident on December 3 at a grocery store in Zwelethemba, Worcester.

On Monday, Hawks in the Western Cape confirmed that a 37-year-old suspect accompanied by his attorney handed himself to the Hawks’ Serious Organised Crime Investigation team in Cape Town.

Hawks spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel Philani Nkwalase, said on the day (of the incident), a G4S crew member was accosted by two armed men after he had collected money from the store.

Story continues below Advertisement

“They disarmed him and grabbed the cross-pavement-carrier (CPC) box that had been activated and fled the scene with a getaway vehicle. The driver of the armoured vehicle pursued a silver Suzuki getaway vehicle, which was later found abandoned on Ntlakohlokaza street, in Zwelethemba,” he said.

According to Nkwalase, the CPC box with stained money was also recovered from the vehicle.

“The suspect was allegedly linked to the scene through further investigation, and a search operation was executed at his premises on December 30, 2021, with the assistance of Flying Squad. However, the suspect was not found.”

Story continues below Advertisement

It is also understood that Macebo handed himself over to the Hawks just hours after Gauteng police arrested six suspects allegedly involved in cash-in-transit robberies on the same day.

Macebo’s case has since been postponed until January 12 for bail information.

Story continues below Advertisement

Related Topics:

HawksCrime and courts

Share