Taxi operators blockade streets in Johannesburg last month. Police have called on taxi owners to obey the law ahead of another proposed strike on July 12.Picture: Dumisani Sibeko/ANA pictures

Johannesburg - The planned taxi protest against the government on Wednesday has been suspended for further engagement on the issues raised by the SA National Taxi Council (Santaco) during its meeting with government on Friday. 

Transport Minister Joe Maswanganyi said today that the meeting on Friday agreed to address issues raised by Santaco related to taxi subsidies, taxi operating licences and access to finance by taxi operators. The first of the further engagements between the taxi industry and government will take place on Tuesday.

“In taking the discussions forward, the meeting agreed to establish committees to deal with these issues. The committees will incorporate members from Santaco as well as those from the national and provincial spheres of government,” he said.

ALSO READ: ABSA responds to taxi industry high cost claims

Boy Zondi, the second deputy president of Santaco, said they had told Maswanganyi on Friday that “it cannot be business as usual” in the taxi industry because he is the seventh minister of transport that they have engaged with in discussions.

Zondi said the Minister and those involved in the discussions with Santaco needed to ensure that there was speedy resolution to the issues raised by the industry and that they were seen as assisting the industry.

MORE INFORMATION ON BUSINESS REPORT ON MONDAY