MTN denies staff killed in Nigerian attacksComment on this story
Mobile services provider MTN on Tuesday denied that any of its staff had been killed in attacks on telecommunications infrastructure in Northern Nigeria last week.
The South African group‚ which has operations across the African continent‚ said it had “noted with great dismay” erroneous information circulated by some media of the purported killing of MTN staff in Nigeria in the attacks.
“MTN would like to correct this by stating that ‘No MTN staff was killed’. We are at a loss as to the source of this highly erroneous information‚”said MTN Group spokesperson Rich Mkhondo.
He said the damage to telecommunications facilities was confined to certain parts of Northern Nigeria and “only our customers in those parts may have experienced service disruptions‚ which are being quickly resolved”.
“MTN Nigeria has the full co-operation of the relevant security and intelligence agencies in the country‚ and the Joint Task Force in various Northern States are providing security for all telecommunications infrastructure till further notice.” Mkhondo added. - I-Net Bridge