Burundi state takes stake in mine

Comment on this story

Burundi’s government took a 15 percent stake in a project to build a nickel and iron mine led by Burundi Mining Metallurgy (BMM), Danko Konchar, the chief executive of Kermas Group, the majority owner, said last week. The state’s stake in Burundi Musongati Mining, of which BMM holds the remaining 85 percent interest, was part of the terms of a mining licence agreement signed this month, Konchar said. The project would require investment to construct the mine and a facility to process 1 million tons of ore annually into iron, nickel and cobalt within the next five years, said Konchar. The goal to increase capacity at the plant within a decade will cost about $3 billion (R31.9bn). – Bloomberg

sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines