Putting meat on sticks has been around since humans first cooked on an open flame. The cooking principle may have stayed the same but the selection and variety of what you put on a stick has improved greatly.
Top tips for grilling kebabs
* Marinate meat for at least 30 minutes - leave overnight if possible.
* Marinating can help tenderise as well as impart flavour.
* Keep the ingredients a similar size so that they cook evenly.
* Don’t pack the meat on the skewers too tightly as this will prevent them from cooking evenly.
* If using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water for 30 minutes before threading on the meat. This will prevent them from burning over the flames.
* Spray your grill beforehand to prevent the meat from sticking to it.
* Turn kebabs frequently to ensure even cooking.
* Basting often with the marinade will prevent them from drying out.
* Never serve the marinade with the meat without boiling it very well first. It contains raw meat juices which should not be consumed.