Asparagus is one of those vegetables that allows for experimentation and known is for its unique and savoury taste.
Jenny Kay has created four recipes with the use of asparagus to accommodate a variety of flavours and styles of cooking.
Recipe number 3 is below:
- 250ml flour
- 5ml baking powder
- 5 small courgettes, grated
- 1 bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 250ml grated mature cheddar
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 60ml chopped dill
- 100g smoked trout, chopped
- 250g thin asparagus spears, blanched
- 5 eggs, beaten
- extra smoked trout to serve
- cream cheese to serve
1. Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the baking powder.
3. Mix in the courgettes, spring onions, cheese, lemon rind, dill, smoked trout and most of the asparagus spears, chopped.
4. Reserve about 5 whole ones for the top.
5. Add in the beaten eggs.
6. Spoon the mixture into a 18x10cm loaf pan which has been greased and base lined.
7. Arrange the spears on top.
8. Bake at 180°C for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
9. Remove and cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
10. Serve with cream cheese and slices of extra trout.