Athleisure, the elevated-sporty clothing category that rocketed such brands as Lululemon and Under Armour to global success over the past half decade, appears to be hitting a plateau this year.
Prices on units have been generally decreasing, and the growth of sales in active-wear is levelling off.
But it's flattening out at an extremely high level, and prices are dropping because huge outfitters such as Walmart and Sports Authority are offering discounted versions of the items you might buy at a pricey yoga boutique.
Stella McCartney in collaboration with Adidas athleisure
So, as a matter of fact, more people have access to athleisure apparel, and it's becoming more mass.
Basically, it's settling in for the long haul.
If you can't beat it, join it, right?
READ: Beards can give better jawlines
The Dos and Don'ts of wearing Athleisure:
- Neoprene is now a safe fabric for everyday wear, and not just in leggings. But embrace it in unique ways, such as the Adidas sneakers.
If you wear a material in the same manner that it's used in athletic wear (as in shorts), there's no way to avoid giving off the impression that you just got done with a workout.
Athleisure Varsity jacket by Nike. Credit: Supplied
- Keep your athletic wear and athleisure separate. Don't mix and match. Wear your gym clothes to the gym and your casual, comfortable clothes on the weekends and to low-key social events. Never together!
- A varsity jacket or a sporty handbag is athleisure. You're not afraid of those, right?
- Racing stripes, bright colours, and black-and-neon colour combos like the mesh dress by Marianne Fassler, pictured above, are all hallmarks of athleisure, so try a little bit of each and see what you like.
Athleisure mesh dress by Marianne Fassler. Credit: Supplied
- Test one piece at a time, and pair them with more formal attire. Wear nicely tapered jersey pants with a polo shirt or even an untucked button-down. Wear a snug sweatshirt with jeans. Don't jump in with both feet.
Athleisure Top Shop lace trim running shorts. Credit: Supplied
READ: Beauty report: Nano gold for a glowing face
- The fit is key. Don't wear anything baggy, it will look like you're not trying.
The reason athleisure works is because it looks as though the wearer put in some effort and spent some money, even though he's wearing comfortable clothes.
Go too slouchy, and you'll just tell the world that you've given up.