Mugello, Italy - Reigning Moto3 world champion Brad Binder will be back with his KTM Moto2 team this weekend at the Italian Motorcycle Grand Prix.
Binder has missed the past three races after he underwent further surgery to repair the arm he broke during a late season test in Valencia at the end of 2016. After fighting through the pain in the opening rounds, the decision was made for Binder to have the surgery and come back healthy.
While still short of 100 percent, Binder is eager to return to his Moto2 machine and get back to work at a circuit he won at in 2016 en route to his Moto3 world title.
“Being able to compete again after my injury feels great," the 21-year-old said, "as it has been a very long few weeks watching the races from home.
“I’m happy, because after the third operation I think we have taken an important step forward and I feel that my arm is healing correctly; after the other surgeries I found rehab a little harder. It is clear that I am not yet at 100 percent physically, but I think I am ready to compete.
“Mugello is a circuit where I have always enjoyed riding. I got my first podium there in the Red Bull Rookies Cup and a victory in Moto3 last year. It’s a track that has always been pretty good for me, but this weekend, on my return, I just want to test how my arm is and see where we are.”
Doctors happy with 'The Doctor'
Meanwhile, Yamaha’s MotoGP great Valentino Rossi has been passed fit to compete at his home Italian Grand Prix this weekend after injuring his abdomen and chest in a motocross accident.
The team said the nine-times world champion had undergone a medical at the Mugello circuit on Thursday afternoon.
“Fans from all over the world can breathe a sigh of relief,” it added, saying that medical heads representing the circuit, federation and series had declared the 38-year-old to be “in a suitable condition” to race.