Alleged Benghazi ringleader captured

Comment on this story


IOL pic jun18 barack obama benghazi secret raid

Reuters

US President Barack Obama listens to a question during a visit to Pittsburgh June 17, 2014. During the event, Obama said that Ahmed Abu Khatallah, the suspected ringleader of the 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, was being transported to the United States after his capture on Sunday. Picture: Kevin Lamarque

Washington - The United States said on Tuesday it had captured a suspected ringleader of the 2012 attack on the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans including the US ambassador and ignited a political firestorm in Washington.

President Barack Obama said in a statement he had authorised the operation in Libya on Sunday, in which US special operations forces captured Ahmed Abu Khatallah. He told an audience later in Pittsburgh that Khatallah was being transported to the United States.

“Since the deadly attacks on our facilities in Benghazi, I have made it a priority to find and bring to justice those responsible for the deaths of four brave Americans,” he said in a statement. He said Khatallah would “face the full weight of the American justice system”.

Khatallah's capture was a victory for Obama, who has been accused by Republicans of playing down the role of al-Qaeda in the 2012 attacks for political reasons and being slow to deliver on promises of justice.

Republicans also said then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had failed to take steps to ensure the safety of American diplomatic personnel, an issue that is still resonating as Clinton considers running for US president in 2016.

Clinton defended the decision to put diplomats in dangerous situations on Tuesday but noted that incomplete information increased the risk in Benghazi in 2012.

“We send Americans into perilous, dangerous places all the time, and I believe that's the right decision,” Clinton told CNN. “We have to do it prudently, of course, but we need to be where things are happening that can affect us.”

Khatallah was being held aboard the USS New York, an amphibious transport dock, a US official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

He was grabbed on the outskirts of Benghazi in an operation carried out by US special operations forces, including some members of the Army's Delta Force, another US official said.

General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said US troops had acted with “extraordinary skill, courage and precision” and that the complex operation resulted in no casualties. Rear Admiral John Kirby, the Pentagon press secretary, said all US personnel involved had left Libya.

A US official said Khatallah would be charged and prosecuted through the US court system and would not be sent to the prison for suspected al-Qaeda militants in Guantanamo, Cuba.

That is in line with Obama's policy of prosecuting suspected militants caught abroad through the US justice system rather than trying them in the military tribunal system at Guantanamo Bay prison, which he is trying to close.

A criminal complaint released by the US district court for Washington, DC, accused Khatallah of killing a person in the course of an attack on a federal facility, providing material support to terrorists and using a firearm in commission of a crime of violence.

The Libyan government had no immediate comment on the US announcement. A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Libya was not notified before the secret raid. The Pentagon said Libya had been told of the operation to seize Khatallah but would not say when.

It was the second time the administration has said US special operations forces have gone into Libya to detain a militant. A US Army Delta Force team grabbed al-Qaeda suspect Nazih al-Ragye, better known as Abu Anas al-Liby, in Tripoli in October 2013 and sent him to a US Navy ship for interrogation.

Al-Liby was later charged in a US federal court in New York in connection with the 1998 bombing of the US embassy in Kenya, which killed more than 200 people.

Khatallah was expected to be questioned by an elite inter-agency interrogation team created in 2009 to seek information from suspects to prevent future terrorist attacks, a US official said.

The official could not say whether members of the US High Value Detainee Interrogation Group, which is housed at the FBI's National Security Branch, were already in place to question Khatallah aboard the ship where he was being held.

Lawmakers welcomed Khatallah's capture, but Republicans said they were concerned that prosecuting him in the court system rather than through the military tribunals at Guantanamo would hamper efforts to interrogate him for his intelligence value.

“I want him to be held a sufficient period of time under the law of war to gather intelligence,” said Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, adding he didn't care where Khatallah was prosecuted. “We're shutting down intelligence-gathering. We're turning the war into a crime, and it will bite us in the butt.”

The White House defended the use of the US courts to prosecute Khatallah, saying in a statement that the justice system had “repeatedly proven that it can successfully allow us to gather intelligence, handle the threat we continue to face and prosecute terrorists.” - Reuters


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory