Lagos - Nigeria on Wednesday confirmed five new cases of Ebola in Lagos and a second death from the virus, bringing the total number of infections in sub-Saharan Africa's largest city to seven.
“Nigeria has now recorded seven confirmed cases of Ebola Virus Disease (EVB),” said Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu.
Those who have died include the “index patient”, a Liberian who brought the virus to Lagos on July 20, and a nurse who treated him, the minister added.
“All the Nigerians diagnosed with EBV were primary contacts” of Patrick Sawyer, who worked for Liberia's finance ministry and contracted the virus from his sister, Chukwu said.
He travelled to Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, for a meeting of West African officials.
Visibly sick upon arrival at the international airport in Lagos, officials said he was immediately transferred to the First Consultants hospital in the upmarket Ikoyi neighbourhood.
He died in quarantine on July 25 and the hospital has since been closed.
The five Ebola patients are being treated in an isolation ward in Lagos, the minister told journalists.
Since breaking out earlier this year, the tropical virus has claimed almost 900 lives and infected more than 1 603 people across West Africa. The other cases have been reported in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. - AFP