The affordable education loan option
Johannesburg - The South African woman who disappeared after the Nairobi mall attack has been found safe.
The woman, whose name has not been released, could not be contacted by her family after the attack and there were fears she was in the Westgate shopping mall during the terrorist attack.
“The good news is that yesterday, last night, she managed to communicate with her family and she is okay,” said Super Moloi, the South African High Commissioner in Kenya on Wednesday morning.
“She stays in a hotel near the mall. That’s an operational area so communication is a problem.”
Moloi said communications had been closed down in the area by the authorities because of the security operation.
The high commissioner said the woman’s family contacted his office after they learnt of the attack to find out if she was alive.
But after four days, with hostages being rescued in dribs and drabs from the mall, the high commission said the woman had not contacted anyone.
Kenyan police had visited hospitals and morgues to try to find her.
“There are still several unidentified bodies that must be found,” the high commissioner said.
Meanwhile, the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) has released its own analysis of the siege, saying it was of extreme importance that those responsible stand trial for their crimes.
Anneli Botha, senior researcher at the Transnational Threats and International Crime Division of the ISS, said a purely military response to the crisis could have unintended consequences, including triggering further acts of terrorism and extremism.
“Due to the transnational nature of modern terrorist operations, it will be essential for Kenyan investigators to work closely with other African and international governments, not least because foreign nationals are both victims and alleged perpetrators of the attack. Kenya should lead the investigation with help from international partners,” Botha said.