Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Coca-Cola has cancelled football star Ronaldinho’s £500 000 (about R6 million) a year contract after he was seen with two cans of Pepsi at a recent press conference, reports said.
According to MailOnline, Ronaldinho reportedly took a sip from one of the cans during the question and answer session for his new club Atletic Mineiro, which he joined last month.
The soft drink giant said it could no longer continue working with the two-time Fifa world player of the year.
A statement released on Monday read: “Coca Cola recognises the career and the value of Ronaldinho. However due to recent developments it has become impossible to continue the partnership.”
The loss of the Coca Cola contract is just the latest setback in a string of problems the former Barcelona star has faced.
Marcelo Pontes, marketing chief for Coca-Cola, reportedly told a Brazilian paper: “The fact that the player has appeared with a can of Pepsi was the straw that broke the camel’s back.”
The company said it had no choice but to terminate the contract which was due to run until 2014.
The mistake may not have been all Ronaldinho’s fault however, Atletico Mineiro is sponsored by Pepsi and the cans are thought to be put on tables during press conferences as part of the deal. - IOL