104 in court for xenophobiaComment on this story
A total of 104 people accused of xenophobic attacks appeared in the Modimolle Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, Limpopo police said.
Lt-Col Malesela Ledwaba said the matter was postponed until August 31 for further investigations.
“The men and women arrested face various charges which include public violence, theft and malicious damage.”
He said 20 of the people in court were juveniles and had been sent on rehabilitative programmes. The others were released on warnings.
“All of them were arrested over the weekend following attacks on foreign nationals in the Phagameng township outside Modimolle.”
Provincial police commissioner Lt-Gen Simon Mpembe said the violence was sparked by the murder of 20-year-old Tlaela Leratho.
Patrolling police found Leratho's body at the side of the R101 last week. She had been strangled and her body set alight. Police later arrested her 26-year-old Pakistani boyfriend.
Mpembe said Phagameng residents attacked Pakistanis and Ethiopians on Sunday, looting their shops.
“Police were called in to defuse the situation and more than 30 families sought refuge at the local police station while others have fled the area.” - Sapa