Cape Town – A man who allegedly attacked his girlfriend in Main Road in Strand, and is now accused of her murder, abandoned his bail application in the Strand District Court on Friday.
Peter Mayberry, 33, sobbed as he appeared before Magistrate Karen Scheepers, charged with the murder of Bernadette Pauline Swart, in December last year.
The State alleges that he caused her death by punching and kicking her.
He told the court he suffered from severe depression and anxiety and the magistrate ordered that he receive urgent medical attention in prison for his emotional condition.
At his first appearance on January 8 proceedings were held “in camera” for reasons of security and the Mayberry’s own safety.
At his next appearance, on January 18, he remained in custody to the next day to enable police to verify his address.
On January 19, the prosecutor said there were “complications” with the address, and he remained in custody to January 22.
On Friday, Mayberry abandoned his bail application but asked the court to urgently finalise his case.
Scheepers said Mayberry had been arrested only on January 7, and a murder investigation could not possibly be completed so soon.
She said she could not consider his release on bail until he was able to furnish a proper, verifiable residential address.
He would remain in custody until April 4.