CLOSE X
Advertisement

ANC councillor shot at in Cape Town

Crime & Courts

Cape Town - Mzoli’s, the internationally renowned Gugulethu restaurant frequented by tourists and locals alike, was the scene of a shooting where a City of Cape Town ANC councillor escaped with his life after being attacked, apparently for his cellphone.

Luvuyo Zondani reportedly had internal bleeding and had to be rushed into the operating theatre on Friday night where he underwent surgery to remove a bullet.

Tell a friend
Cape Town - 101209 - 20h30 Mzolis Place in Gugulethu which closes at 19h00 - The last hours in Anni Dewani's life. The Dewani's left the Cape Grace Hotel shortly after 20h00 on the fateful night, after sight-seeing they proceeded to Gugulethu where the hijacking was meant to take place but the  gunmen were not there. They left Gugulethu at 21h00 for Surfside resturant in the Strand. After eating a meal they departed around 22h15. Annie and Shrien took a walk on the beach and left Strand en route to Gugulethu where they were hi-jacked. Shrien Dewani and Robert Tongo were ejected from the car and Anni Dewani was taken to her death in Khayelitsha. Photo: Matthew JordaanLuvuyo Zondani, ANC councillor for ward 38, was shot outside Mzoli's in Gugulethu on Friday evening in an apparent robbery. He was rushed to a nearby hospital and is in a stable condition.picture Facebook

He was in a stable condition at publication time last night, according to ANC provincial spokesman Cobus Grobler.

Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille confirmed Zondani was being treated in Melomed Gatesville Hospital.

Zondani, who has previously been outspoken about the scourge of crime and gangs in Gugulethu, apparently fell victim to a robber who wanted his cellphone.

Police, however, said the motive for the attack was unknown.

Branding the shooting “a travesty”, Grobler said Zondani was shot in the abdomen at about 8pm on Friday as he was leaving the eatery.

”He’s in high care in a stable condition after a long operation to remove a bullet from his abdomen, and to stabilise him,” Grobler said.

He said the ANC wished him well and a speedy recovery.

Several fellow councillors had been to visit Zondani.

Grobler urged anyone with information about who was responsible for shooting Zondani to come forward, “so the perpetrators can be brought to book”.

Early yesterday,

while not naming the victim as Zondani, police spokesman Andrè Traut said police were searching for an unknown suspect who fled the scene after shooting a 46-year-old man on a road that passes Mzoli’s.

“The motive is unknown and the circumstances are being investigated,” said Traut.

 

Zondani is councillor for ward 38, which includes areas of Gugulethu and Nyanga.

In the 2011 local government elections he won the seat with more than 90 percent of the vote.

De Lille, meanwhile, condemned the shooting as an “act of lawlessness”.

“I hope that Councillor Zondani will have a quick recovery and continue to represent his party in council,” she said.

Mzoli’s was founded and is still owned by prominent local businessman Mzoli Ngcawuzele.

In the last recorded incident there, in 2011, two Belgian architecture students were attacked with a broken bottle. One suffered a cut to his arm as the pair returned to their car.

They later praised the rapid community and police response which helped to track down an attacker.

Ngcawuzele’s family has also fallen victim to crime. In December 2006, his daughter Sisanda was kidnapped by three men who demanded R300 000 ransom from him.

The trio posed as clients for her promotions company and asked to meet her at a house in Parklands.

Police found her three days later, with minor injuries.

In April last year the trio received sentences from seven to 12 years. Ngcawuzele said that “justice has prevailed”.

When Weekend Argus tried to contact Ngcawuzele for comment yesterday on the latest incident, he put down the phone. - Weekend Argus

Tell a friend
Advertisement
X