ANC, EFF assault charges withdrawn

Comment on this story
Copy of IOL pic mar13 justice scales file Independent Newspapers .

Tonga - Assault charges against five ANC and seven EFF members were withdrawn in a Mpumalanga court on Monday when the parties agreed to settle.

The 12 appeared briefly in the Tonga Magistrate's Court on charges of assault, a Sapa correspondent reported.

“The two parties have settled their differences and have asked for mediation,” prosecutor Frederick Mhelembe told the court.

Members of both parties opened assault charges against each other in December.

Previously the African National Congress and Economic Freedom Fighters members appeared in the court separately to avoid another quarrel, following heated clashes outside court.

The EFF's Nkomazi sub-regional convenor Caleb Sibitane and ANC Tonga ward councillor Nomsa Maphanga were among the accused.

All 12 were previously released on a warning.

Magistrate Sibonisiwe Sibuyi removed the matter from the roll and told the accused they were free to go.

Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.