ANCYL member fails to appear

Comment on this story

One of the two men accused of disrupting a memorial lecture by President Jacob Zuma failed to appear in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.

Chantal Gillion, for the defence, said she had tried calling Siviwe Gxothiwe, 27, but he did not answer his phone. She left a message with his family.

His co-accused, Sibusiso Nkomiyahlaba, 25, told the court he had also not seen him.

At their last appearance, Gxothiwe was absent due to an illness. Magistrate Zwelidumile Sogwagwa ordered that his bail of R500 be forfeited and that a warrant of arrest be issued.

The case was postponed to July 26 for determination of a regional court date. Nkomiyahlaba's bail was extended.

The two initially faced charges of public violence for allegedly participating in the disruption of Zuma's speech at the Good Hope Centre, near the Cape Town CBD, on the night of February 23. The charges were changed to assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

They were arrested after Zuma was heckled, and were believed to be the ringleaders of the ensuing commotion in which fist fights broke out and chairs were thrown.

One of those injured in the ruckus was SABC cameraman Rudi le Roux, who had to have stitches to his left eye. – Sapa

sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines