Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Johannesburg - A 19-year-old woman whose son was found wandering on the N1 freeway near the Grasmere offramp was granted bail in the Vereeniging Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, said Gauteng traffic police.
“She was granted R500 bail on today (Tuesday), her child remains at a place of safety,” said spokeswoman Busaphi Nxumalo.
The 19-year-old mother is originally from Orange Farm and faces charges of attempted murder and child abandonment.
She was arrested two weeks ago at night after her 16-month-old boy escaped being hit by a truck while walking along the freeway.
Traffic police patrolling the N1 noticed a truck swerve and then saw the child walking on the freeway at around 7pm.
Police suspected that the child had been left there as there were no houses nearby.
The woman is expected to appear in court on May 20.