Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
The reported cover-up of a blue-light accident involving two of Gauteng health MEC Ntombi Mekgwe's security staff was shocking, the Democratic Alliance said.
The accident allegedly happened on July 15 last year when Mekgwe's staff drove into another car in Boksburg while using blue lights on the way to the airport to fetch Mekgwe, the Beeld newspaper reported on Monday.
“The driver of the MEC's vehicle at the time and his companion should be charged and disciplined immediately,” said Gauteng safety spokeswoman Kate Lorimer.
She said it was unacceptable the two men were apparently using blue lights to get to the airport since Mekgwe's arrival time would have been known in advance.
“What makes matters worse is that it seems the docket has gone missing.”
The accident had taken place, said health department spokesman Simon Zwane.
“It was an accident, yes. The MEC was not in the car. There was nothing untoward and the accident was reported to the police, and to the insurance company,” he said.
Lorimer said Gauteng premier Nomvula Mokonyane and Gauteng's MECs should start taking responsibility for the way their security staff behaved.
Blue-light abuse needed to be curbed, especially following the injury of Thomas Ferreira in November last year, she said.
Ferreira was knocked off his motorbike, allegedly by Gauteng local government and housing MEC Humphrey Mmemezi's official vehicle, sustaining head injuries and spending weeks in a coma.
He now has improved use of his right arm and leg, which were broken in the accident.
The driver of the blue-light vehicle, Joseph Modomai Semietjie, a member of the police's VIP unit, would be criminally prosecuted, and disciplined internally. - Sapa