Johannesburg - There was confusion in the Protea Magistrate’s Court on Thursday morning after a man suspected of more than 100 counts of rape failed to appear.
The man, who also faces charges of kidnapping and assault, had already appeared in court on Wednesday, leaving even the investigating officer in the matter confused.
Court orderlies and a court roll seen by The Star on Thursday indicated that the man had already appeared in court on Wednesday, on charges of rape, assault and kidnapping relating to a case opened at Kliptown police station.
His case was postponed to June 6 for further investigations.
A source familiar with the investigation had told The Star that the Tembisa man would appear on Thursday.
The source, who cannot be named as he isn’t authorised to speak to the media, said the 40-year-old was accused of having raped more than 50 schoolgirls between the ages of 6 and 12.
The accused, from Winnie Mandela Park in Tembisa, is suspected to be the serial child rapist wanted since 2007 for a spate of attacks committed over six years in Gauteng and Limpopo.
It is believed that his reign of terror began in Lulekani, Limpopo, in 2007 when he allegedly raped his first victim, a 10-year-old.
It is believed that he then fled to Gauteng, where he allegedly continued to rape young girls in Ekurhuleni and Soweto.