Advertisement

Daymom, baby murder case postponed

Three men accused of killing a five-month-old baby and his minder appeared in the Delmas Magistrate's Court on Wednesday, Mpumalanga police said.

Lt-Col Leonard Hlathi said the matter was postponed as the third accused, Fernandos Maritse, 27, had yet to consult his legal representative.

A Centurion woman was arrested on Monday after she was caught driving at 207km/h, with a baby in her car.

They would be back in court on Tuesday next week and the men would remain in police custody.

Maritse, along with Enock Mbele, 44, and Lazarus Mabhena, 54, are accused of strangling 66-year-old Magrietha de Goede and baby Wiehan Botes last month.

De Goede's body was found under a carpet in an outside room and the body of the baby was found under a bed in the main house.

In previous court appearances, members of the Democratic Alliance in the area protested outside the court, calling for the establishment of a Border and Rural Safety Division within the SA Police service.

Days after the killing, members of the Afrikaner Volksraad Verkiesing Kommissie (VVK) protested against violence on women and children.

The DA condemned posters displayed by the VVK members during the march, which apparently read “Black cowards - leave our women and children alone” and “Steal, rape, murder: We are finished with Black South Africa”.

A march was also organised by singer Steve Hofmeyr against violent crimes in the country. Locals and celebrities marched to the Union Buildings to hand over a memorandum to the presidency.

Last Friday, Delmas residents of all races came together to pray for their community. The mayor of the Victor Khanye municipality said VVK members were not Delmas people.

Police were searching for a fourth man, who they said could assist with information concerning the case. - Sapa

SHOW ALL
Advertisement