Fighting Oscar broadcasts futile: NPA

Comment on this story


IOL pic feb19 oscar pistorius head down in court

Independent Newspapers

Murder accused Oscar Pistorius will need much of his declared annual income of R5.6m in his battle to stay out of prison. File picture: Masi Losi

Pretoria - Spending money on opposing a court application for live broadcasts of Oscar Pistorius's murder trial will be futile, the NPA said on Wednesday.

The National Prosecuting Authority initially had fears when eNCA sought to broadcast the proceedings, spokesman Nathi Mncube told reporters outside the High Court in Pretoria.

The court heard an application by print media houses, eNCA, MultiChoice and Eyewitness News to broadcast the trial, which starts on March 3.

However, the NPA's concerns were allayed by additional provisions brought by MultiChoice, Mncube said.

“We do not want our witnesses to be intimidated. We do not want them to be exposed if they don't want. All of that was addressed by the technology which MultiChoice brought and some concessions that were made.

“I don't know if it makes good sense to the public to say 'we want to 1/8use 3/8 taxpayers' money to oppose the application of a person we as NPA are charging'. It doesn't make sense, we would rather focus on the criminal case we are pursuing.”

Responding to claims that Reeva Steenkamp's parents were opposed to the bid to broadcast the court proceedings, Mncube said the NPA's decision was in the interests of justice.

“We are not here to look after just one witness. It's unfortunate that family is affected because it is their child who was killed. The people that are going to testify are not the family, but witnesses,” he said.

“I think what the family wants is to see justice served. That is our focus as well. We appreciate that it might be sensitive for them, but in the bigger scheme of things, the public stands to benefit more by watching these proceedings broadcast if the court grants the order.”

Barry Roux SC, for Pistorius, told the court earlier that Steenkamp's parents had not been informed about the NPA's agreeing to the live broadcast of the trial sought by the media.

A 24-hour TV channel dedicated to the upcoming trial would be launched on DSTV a day before the star athlete goes on trial.

The broadcasters proposed permission to use unmanned, remote-controlled high-definition cameras which would feed to all broadcasters, if the application was successful.

Judge Dunstan Mlambo reserved his judgment until Tuesday at 11am.

Pistorius is accused of killing Steenkamp, his girlfriend, in February last year. His trial is to be heard in the High Court in Pretoria from March 3 to 20.

Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory