Kimberley - The report of a new expert witness in the Griekwastad murders trial is unreliable, the Northern Cape High Court heard on Tuesday.
Northern Cape Judge President Frans Kgomo was hearing argument in an application by the 17-year-old boy to reopen his case.
Prosecutor Hannes Cloete submitted that the testimony of the State's two expert witnesses in relation to sexual injuries on one of the victims could not be discredited by the defence's new expert.
“The springboard of the new expert's testimony falls away,” said Cloete.
The youth is accused of shooting dead farmer Deon Steenkamp, 44, his wife Christel, 43, and their daughter Marthella, 14, on April 6, 2012.
He faces additional charges of raping Marthella and of lying to the police.
He has denied the charges and told the court someone else must have been in the Steenkamp house on the day of the murders.
However, the State has claimed his evidence was in the realm of the impossible.
The youth's new lawyer Riaan Bode submitted the application was to present new evidence for consideration on the rape charge.
The defence submitted the application did not rest on a contention that the previous legal team was incompetent.
Cloete submitted the defence had failed to show that the new evidence would have a substantial impact of the case.
The defence's new expert had formed his opinions from photo's, something a State witness had already warned about.
He contended that the report of the defence's new expert was opposed by evidence already before court.
Judge Kgomo adjourned the court for a decision until 2.30pm.