Henning accused requests postponementComment on this story
Pretoria - One of the men accused of murdering a Pretoria East woman requested the Pretoria High Court on Monday to postpone his trial.
Andre Gouws had ended the mandate of his Legal Aid lawyer Van Zyl Nel on November 15, and said he did not have enough time to prepare.
“You cannot prepare for a case of this magnitude nine days prior to the start,” he said.
Former Nigerian Olympic athlete Ambrose Monye and Gouws are accused of the murder of Chanelle Henning. They face charges of murder, conspiracy to murder and illegal possession of a firearm.
Henning was shot while driving along Manitoba Drive in Faerie Glen, Pretoria East last year. She had just dropped off her son at a crèche.
Gouws also requested to be allowed a computer in his cell.
He said the State gave him the disclosure on a DVD and he did not have access to a computer.
“I cannot prepare myself for this case if I don't have a computer in my cell.”
However State prosecutor Gerrie Nel argued Gouws had had enough time and that a delay would prejudice the case and witnesses.
“We have vulnerable witnesses. We just cannot allow a delay in proceedings,” Nel said.
He was in favour of the trial continuing on Wednesday to allow for a new legal team to be appointed.
“The State is ready to proceed,” he said. - Sapa