ID parade for serial child rape suspectComment on this story
Johannesburg - A man accused of raping 62 children appeared in the Protea Magistrate's Court on Friday, Gauteng police said.
The matter was postponed until June 13 for further identity parades to be conducted and to give the man's lawyer an opportunity to consult him, Warrant Officer Kay Makhubela said.
“Altogether he faces 185 charges, including rape, armed robbery, attempted murder, and theft.”
The 40-year-old man, who cannot be named until he has pleaded, would remain in custody.
He was arrested in Tembisa in July last year for possession of stolen copper when a police officer investigating the rapes of two girls in Kliptown connected him with the crimes.
Lt-Col Katlego Mogale said after the man's last court appearance in March that the man was linked to other rape cases through DNA evidence.