Mveso, Eastern Cape - Former president Nelson Mandela would be disappointed at the situation that unfolded in the Eastern Cape High Court, his grandson Mandla Mandela said in Mvezo on Thursday.
Mandla was addressing the media after the Eastern Cape High Court on Wednesday dismissed his application to halt the exhumations of Mandela's three children.
Mandla exhumed and moved the graves from Qunu to Mvezo in 2011.
A group of Mandela family members, led by Makaziwe Mandela, approached the court to have the bodies exhumed and moved back to the family graveyard in Qunu.
“My grandfather, like myself, would be highly disappointed in what is unravelling,” he told reporters.
“He would have asked every member of the family if there are any secondary thoughts on his recommendation. I am here because of his own grooming and recommendation.”
Mandla said his grandfather remains in a critical condition in hospital.
“My grandfather continues to be stable while in a critical space,” he said.
“We are grateful for updates we receive every day from the Presidency.”
He praised President Jacob Zuma for visiting the elderly statesman, adding that Zuma had been at his grandfather's bedside.
He said military doctors had been rendering services to Mandela to ensure his recovery.
“We will forever be indebted to many South Africans and many in global community who have rendered many prayers and wishes for my grandfather's recovery. We hope for his speedy recovery.”
Mandla said he wanted to focus on Madiba.
“I want to focus on what matters most, being with my grandfather, ensuring I can be with him at this moment that he needs us most...”
Mandla spoke in detail how his grandfather had taught him from a young age about taking over the village.
He said his grandfather's last will and testament remained a secret, and remained with people he appointed to administer it.
“I received an instruction [from] my aunt Makaziwe to remove remains and bury them in secret in Qunu where she is preparing a grave for my grandfather,” he said.
“I didn't follow those instructions, because [it was] not coming from my grandfather, I took the remains and kept them here [Mvezo] until I received information from my grandfather or instructions from his spouse Graca [Machel].”
Earlier Mandla said he was “highly disappointed” at his brother Ndaba for claims he made to the media.
“He claims in media reports I was born out of wedlock. I wish he would say that in the presence of my father,” he said.
“I want to remind him that I do not hand out our dirty linen as a family in public. He knows very well that my father impregnated a married woman... he is a result of that act.
“He should be very careful when he wants to throw insults, particularly to my mother, who still sits by my side, nurtures [me], and ensures I can wake up every day to serve my community.”
Mandla Mandela said he seemingly angered people by distancing himself from the legal challenge involving the ailing statesman's estate.
He was referring to the legal challenge by Mandela's two daughters against the trustees of Mandela's will over investment companies.
“I still refuse to be associated with the court actions that are a clear squabble over my grandfather's money. This too shall come to [the] surface,” he said.
“I am tired of people who want to use me for popularity and short-term gains.” - Sapa