Man held for George taxi killingComment on this story
George - A George man was arrested on Wednesday in connection with the killing of a taxi industry negotiator, Southern Cape police said.
Captain Bernadine Steyn said the 31-year-old man was arrested at his home in Thembalethu around 4am.
He would appear in the George Magistrate's Court on Friday for the death of 47-year-old Tom Queba.
Queba was gunned down in his taxi in Thembalethu last month.
Western Cape transport MEC Donald Grant welcomed the arrest on Wednesday.
He said Queba had been a chief negotiator in discussions with government officials over the creation of the George Integrated Public Transport Network.
“The murder of Mr Queba threatened to derail this whole initiative. While we cannot bring him back to life, it is encouraging to learn that an arrest has been made in such a short time,” Grant said.
The provincial government had been working with the George taxi industry over the last eight years to develop a public transport system incorporating existing operators in the area.
In a statement last month, Grant said no amount of violence or intimidation would stop the transport network's development from going ahead as planned.