Mom faces man accused of killing childComment on this story
Pretoria - Masesi Moyo came face-to-face with the man accused of murdering and raping her 7-year-old daughter.
The man who stood in the dock before her in the Ga-Rankuwa Magistrate’s Court was one she used to love and trust.
On Monday, all she felt for him was hatred.
“When I saw him standing there I felt like jumping up and beating him, actually killing him.
“The worst thing is that he wants bail. Why does he want it after killing my child? He must stay in there,” Moyo said.
On May 6, seven-year-old Grace was allegedly killed by the accused who may not be named as he is yet to plead.
It is alleged the accused, who was known to the child, picked her up from school in Soshanguve and took her to veld in Ga-Rankuwa where he raped and killed her.
Residents discovered her body and realised they had earlier seen her with the accused.
When they went to his house, they found her school uniform there and called the police.
On Monday, the man made his second appearance in court on charges of rape, murder, kidnapping and housebreaking.
The case was postponed to next Tuesday for a bail hearing.
While he was in the dock, residents were marching outside the court. The march, organised by the City of Tshwane, started at the Jesus My Answer Church to the court, and protesters demanded the accused be kept in prison.
Speaker of the city council, Morakane Mosupyoe-Letsholo said they wanted to oppose bail. “We are going to support the family until the end.
“Even if this case is transferred to Mahikeng (high court), we will organise buses and go there.
“We want people from the executive mayor to councillors to sign a petition so that we can be admitted as friends of the court.
“He said he wanted to be given bail because he has things to do outside court. What things?
“He must answer for his sins.”
Mosupyoe-Letsholo asked that men protect women in their communities – a call echoed by celebrities who attended the march.
“Men, we love you and we want you to love us too and not kill us,” she said.
Scandal actor Sello Maake ka-Ncube said: “Today is meant to show the family that they are not alone. What I would like to see in future is this kind of march being led by men.
“Men have to take a stance against abuse. That would be a great message to the perpetrators that they would not get away with abusing women and children.”
Gospel singer Solly Moholo said it was important for communities to speak out about abuse.
“As communities we need to stop saying the police are not doing their job while we keep silent about abuse. We have to take care of each other as neighbours. That is why this case is very important.
“The community did not remain silent. They went out and helped each other,” he said.
Moyo said she was grateful for the support she received from the community.
Her sister Mildah Ramaila said: “We are broken as a family. But we are grateful for the support that you are giving us. It keeps us going.”