Mossel Bay in grief after death of girls

Comment on this story
mossel bay crash INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS An� van Zyl, left, and An�l van der Merwe tie teddy bears, shells and messages of condolence to lamp post near to where Dante Hageman, 10, and Sonja van Wyk, 11 were killed when an alleged drunk driver crashed into their vehicle. Photo: Jeffrey Abrahams

Mossel Bay is reeling after an alleged drunk driver ploughed into a car in Hartenbos while fleeing from police, killing two young girls and injuring two others.

Friedel Roller, 39, crashed into Jaco van Wyk’s car at high speed at the corner of Kaap de Goede Hoop and Louis Fourie streets in Hartenbos two weeks ago. He was fleeing from police after being pulled over for reckless driving on February 10.

Van Wyk’s daughter Sonja, 11, and her friend Dante Hageman, 10, who both attended Hartenbos Primary School, were killed. The girls’ funerals were held at the weekend. Sonja was in Grade 5 and Dante in Grade 4.

Monday night, Mossel Bay residents and Van Wyk family friends paid tribute to the girls by adorning the site of the crash with teddy bears, flowers, messages of condolence and sea shells.

Anè Van Zyl packed sea shells on the ground and said she felt for the mothers who had lost their children.

Anèl Van der Merwe, another resident, said she did not know how any mother would feel to lose a child.

“I went to the funeral of Sonja on Saturday and her little sister read a letter to the congregation. Everyone in church was so heartsore because she doesn’t understand that her sister will never come back.”

“Her father, who is still in hospital, was very seriously injured. He was in a wheelchair at the funeral and couldn’t move at all.”

Southern Cape police spokesman Captain Malcolm Pojie said Roller was initially charged with two counts of culpable homicide. This was later changed to murder.

On Tuesday Pojie said Roller would also face a charge of attempting to escape from the Mossel Bay provincial hospital. He was to appear in the Mossel Bay Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.

A day after Roller crashed into Van Wyk’s car, an alleged drunk driver, who also attempted to flee the scene, ploughed into 12 youngsters in George. Vuyani Sondoso, 35, appeared in the Thembalethu Magistrate’s Court facing charges of negligent and reckless driving and drunk driving last week The accused was granted R5 000 bail on the two charges, but remains in custody as he had not been able to provide payment.

[email protected] - Cape Argus

Comment Guidelines

1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

Coyzan, wrote

05:39pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

Thanks @Rod and @Juan for turning an immense tragedy into your usual political drivel. It never ceases to amaze me that you will find a way to politicise any issue. Your earth-shattering stupidity would probably measure high on the Richter scale.

Simone, wrote

05:10pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

So very, very sad :-( Hope that B*stard gets what's coming to him! Show no mercy, listen to no excuses. Punish the man! 1. Drunk 2. Running from the law...He has no excuse!

Pat, wrote

04:57pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

It is safe to say that drunk drivers who find themselves in this situation are probably alcoholics. No amount of punishment will deter them. It is a disease that cannot be cured except through total abstinence. People who drink alcoholically are unable to exercise judgement. Ask me. I am one and yes, I drove drunk, often recklessly, fortunately without causing the harm that this man has done. I stopped drinking completely three years ago, and am appalled when I think back on how I used to be. I am now one of the safest drivers in the country I am sure, and I am super careful of people who are like I used to be. The solution lies in educating excessive drinkers and prospective drinkers about alcohol, making excessive drinking socially unacceptable instead of the "norm", and punishing those who are caught by forcing them into rehabilitation, suspending their licenses and forcing them to do community service in hospital casualties and government morgues so that they know how sick they are and so that they can see, first hand, the results of drinking and driving. It is so terribly sad and my heart goes out to all of the victims and their families.

Anonymous, wrote

04:02pm on 21 February 2012

Grow Up Rod

Ashley, wrote

02:53pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

Im normally quite cynical or sarcastic in my comments on IOL. But this one really put tears in my eyes. Such needless loss of life of 2 children. And it wasn't an innocent accident either. Its unnatural for a parent to have to burry their own children. Reckless drivers should be seen as monsters, a threat to society, for clearly they have no concern or empathy for the lifes of others, and as such I feel that being charged with murder in such cases fits the crime just as well as if the driver pulled the victim out of a car and shot them in the back of the head with a gun.

Anonymous, wrote

02:23pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

I drive this route, with my three girls, twice a day. People normally obey the robot. My daughters don't go to the same school but, were shattered at this loss of life. His running away from the law, should not have caused the death of two young girls and an injury to others. I hope the law takes its cause. He has the nerve to try and run, again! Hasn't he caused enough?

Eugene , wrote

02:18pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

Our heart felt condolences go out to the families of these two innocent children, but now I formally request that this government of ours to please bring back the death penalty. This man has violated another's "HUMAN RIGHT TO LIFE" and does not deserve to live !

WOW, wrote

01:57pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

I was nearly hit head on Saturday evening by a drunk driver who could not figure out which side of the road he should be on. How is one so selfish and downright thoughtless to climb behind a wheel and drive when they are totally drunk. My heart breaks for these two little girls parents and family, most of us do not know what they are going through at the moment except it must be hell. Friedel Roller through your selfish act, you have managed to destroyed two families lives in an instant an no, no amount of alcohol is worth it. May your days on earth be a living hell and if you have any morsel of conscience may it be in turmoil for the rest of the years you are on earth. You deserve the death penalty in my eyes. May the Lord help these two families come to terms with what has happend and may the two little girls souls rest in peace.

Juan, wrote

01:45pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

But nothing happens to a menesta when her car brain damages an innocent biker. SCUM

Anonymous, wrote

01:45pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

I hope he is locked away for good and someone makes him their daily Biaatch!

Anonymous, wrote

01:31pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

I am a mother. I feel the heartache.My sympathies to their parents and families. May God ease your pain.

Anonymous, wrote

01:25pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

May he rot in hell! Government must implement stricter policies to deter people from drinking and driving. An example must be made of him!!

Rod, wrote

01:21pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

Send those sons of bitches to the gallows, better still a kangaroo court and let justice be done! Granted bail! What a joke that magistrate is, oh sorry he is an ANC puppet!

Nono, wrote

01:12pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

My heart is sore after reading this! God be with those parents.

Jabberwocke, wrote

01:07pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

Sentence and throw the key away.

Anonymous, wrote

01:03pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

No amount of years in jail can make up for this type of crime. He belongs in jail with the rest of the country's filth. There is no excuse for this. Selfish B@#$%^& may he rot in hell.

arde, wrote

12:57pm on 21 February 2012
IOL Comments

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Showing items 1 - 17 of 17