Cape Town - One of the teenagers accused of shooting dead a Cape Town pupil last year is expected to plead guilty to a charge of murder, the Western Cape High Court heard on Friday.
Wilston Stoffels and his co-accused, Jevon Snyman, appeared before Judge President John Hlophe at a pre-trial conference.
Stoffels' lawyer, Riaan Odendaal, told the court that plea negotiations would be completed by Monday and, at his request, Hlophe scheduled the proceedings for Monday.
Stoffels and Snyman allegedly shot dead Glenrico Martin as he entered the grounds of the Spes Bona Secondary School in Athlone on May 15 last year.
Stoffels was 18 at the time, and Snyman 19.
William da Grass, for Snyman, said his client was also likely to opt for plea-bargain proceedings.
He said he first needed to discuss the possibility with Snyman's family.
“Although my client is a major [in age], he is still very young,” Da Grass said.
Prosecutor Mziwanele Jaxa said there would be a separation of trials, with the case against Stoffels being finalised on Monday.
At Da Grass's request, the judge postponed Snyman's case to April 17.