Cape Town -
Proceedings to sentence Johannes Kleinhans for a string of sex crimes were postponed to January in the Parow Regional Court in Cape Town on Thursday.
Magistrate Amanda van Leeve postponed the sentencing of the 74-year-old director of companies to January 17.
He has been convicted on 95 charges, including assault and possession of child pornography.
The trial was previously postponed as State prosecutor Herculine Swart and defence attorney Johannes Grobbelaar awaited a State psychiatric report to be placed before the court for sentencing purposes.
On Thursday, Swart said she had received the report but that Grobbelaar needed to pursue and discuss it with Kleinhans.
Grobbelaar said the defence would also need to consult a private psychiatrist for a second opinion to counter any suggestions made by the State psychiatrist.
At the time of his arrest, Kleinhans held directorships in several companies, and was also the chief executive of one of them.
His arrest compelled him to resign his posts, and his convictions bar him from ever holding company directorships again.
Prior to his arrest, Kleinhans had befriended the parents of three pubescent girls, and showered the families with gifts and money over a protracted period to gain their confidence.
Apart from the house where he lives with his wife and family, he had a second secret property which he had rigged out as a gym of sorts for the sole use of the three girls.
In the “gym”, he had provided the girls with liquor to ostensibly to teach them “sensible and responsible drinking”.
Although, according to his own testimony, he had discouraged the girls from being sexually active at their age, he had provided them with condoms in the house for safe sex.
The girls and their parents had referred to Kleinhans as Uncle Ian and had regarded him as a fatherly figure.
The magistrate requested Swart and Grobbelaar to complete their sentencing testimony on January 17, so that the court could use the next day to focus entirely on the sentence to be imposed. - Sapa