Rape accused in court

Comment on this story


IOL pic july12 justice scales gavel

Independent Newspapers

A man accused of raping a 94-year-old woman appeared in the New Hanover Magistrate's Court on Thursday, KwaZulu-Natal ANC spokesman Bongani Mthembu said.

He said the man had been among a group of prisoners who benefited from a special remission programme announced in April.

He would be back in court on August 3.

Police spokesman Captain Thulani Zwane said the woman was attacked and raped in her home in the Emabheleni area, near the town of Wartburg in KwaZulu-Natal in the early hours of last Saturday.

The man was arrested on Monday in Wartburg.

Court proceedings were attended by about 60 ANC members including ANCWL provincial secretary Weziwe Thusi and Cosatu provincial secretary Zet Luzipo.

Party members carried placards that read “no bail for rape suspect” Mthembu said.

Thusi said the ANC organised a demonstration to send a clear message that rapists were not welcome in SA society. – Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory