The trial of robbery accused and jail-breaker Bongani Moyo was postponed by the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Thursday.
The trial, for escaping from custody, will resume on March 12.
His lawyer Donald Somo said proceedings could not continue as Moyo was not feeling well.
He had undergone an operation to remove a tooth and was meant to be in hospital on Thursday and Friday for more teeth to be removed.
Somo said the trial was also delayed because some previous case records had gone missing.
“The (court) clerk said they couldn't find anything... Making it practically impossible to carry on with the trial.”
The Legal Aid Board appointed Somo in February to represent Moyo.
This was his second court appearance in the case. The first was postponed to allow him to consult with his client and to familiarise himself with the case.
State advocate Werner Gibson said the State was ready to proceed and that all witnesses were in court.
Moyo escaped from court in August, while on crutches.
He had previously escaped from the Boksburg prison last March. He was re-arrested near the Beitbridge border post in Limpopo, while making his way back into South Africa from Zimbabwe.
In a separate matter, also before court, Moyo is facing charges for several counts of armed robbery.
Making his way into court on Thursday, Moyo was escorted by heavily armed policemen and was handcuffed throughout the proceedings. - Sapa
© 1999 - 2010 Independent Online. All rights strictly reserved.
Independent Online is a wholly owned subsidiary of Independent News & Media. Reliance on the information this site contains is at your own risk.