Sanral centre hit by third threatComment on this story
A bomb threat was reported at the South Africa National Roads Agency Limited's (Sanral) operations centre in Samrand, near Midrand on Sunday.
Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) CEO Jamie Surkont said a sweep of the building was in progress on Sunday night and if necessary, they would move to the back-up sites with the relevant services.
“The system, as per the previous threats, remains operational, with limited services, such as the call centre affected. All systems are successfully being monitored from the back-up facilities,” Surkont said in a statement.
This was the third threat to be reported at the centre this week.
The premises were evacuated twice last week after a suspicious powder, initially thought to be anthrax, was found.
ETC later reported that the substance was harmless.
Transport Minister Dipuo Peters on Sunday condemned the threats.
She called on law enforcement authorities to act swiftly in their investigation to identify those responsible for the threats.
“There are elements in society hell-bent on undermining the peace and security of their fellow citizens. These backward and uncivilised individuals have elected to ignore all platforms made available to them by our Constitution to raise whatever concerns they may have,” Peters said in a statement.
“We call on law enforcement authorities to do all within their powers to bring the perpetrators of these acts to book.”
Those affected were receiving the necessary attention and help in dealing with the traumatic experiences of the past week, said Peters. - Sapa