Johannesburg - A man accused of raping 62 children between the ages of six and 12 appeared in the Protea Magistrate's Court in Soweto on Thursday, police said.
Lt-Col Katlego Mogale said the man, who cannot be named until he has pleaded, was charged with 153 counts of rape, assault, kidnapping, and attempted murder. He was arrested in Tembisa in July last year for possession of stolen copper.
Police were searching for a man in connection with the rape of two girls, aged 10 and 11. They were walking home from school in Kliptown when they were accosted, kidnapped, beaten and raped at a dumping site in Eldorado Park.
The investigating officer in the case linked the man arrested in Tembisa with the rape of the two girls, and arrested him.
“The suspect was positively linked to several other cases of rape through DNA analysis,” Mogale said.
“An identity parade was conducted during August 2013 until January 2014 because of the amount of victims involved.”
The matter was postponed to June 6 for further investigation.