Carrim lauded for action on SABC COO

Comment on this story
Copy of nm yunus carrim0.JPG GCIS Communications Minister Yunus Carrim

Johannesburg - The speedy reaction by Communications Minister Yunus Carrim to the damning findings by the public protector against SABC acting chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng was welcomed by Mwasa on Friday.

“Mwasa commends minister… Carrim keeping his promise to act swiftly following the release of the… report on the SABC,” said Media Workers Association of SA (Mwasa) general secretary Tuwani Gumani in a statement.

“We welcome… that the SABC board will revert to the minister within the coming month on steps to be taken in respect of the findings.”

On Thursday, Carrim and the SABC board discussed issues including Public Protector Thuli Madonsela's report on the public broadcaster, and it was decided that the report needed to be dealt with promptly.

Last Monday, Madonsela released the report which found Motsoeneng's appointment irregular, as was his salary progression. She found his salary increased from R1.5 million to R2.4m in one year.

Deputy Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams said the SABC board had been provided with the legal opinion received from a state law advisor on the matter.

The board had committed to give the ministry an update on its work regarding the report by the end of next month. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.